Friday, February 27, 2009

UCLA Baby!




Last week our coaches decided to add track workouts to our training schedule. Until now, we have just been running 60 to 90 minutes at a moderate and conversational pace. Now with track practices, we get to work on our speed with these shorter and more intense workouts.

Our first team track practice took place last week at UCLA's Drake Stadium at 6:15am. This took place during the middle of the week so not everyone on our team was able to make this session due to work. My alarm woke me up at 5:25am so I'd have enough time to get ready and drive all the way up to Westwood. I won't lie, it felt like torture waking up at 5:25am. So glad not all our sessions begin this early.

We started our practice in the dark and when we were done an hour later the sun was out and super bright. It actually felt really good to have a good workout so early and out of the way to begin my day. We ran three sets of 1200 yards(three laps in case you were wondering), with one cool down lap in between. First 1200 yards was at a calm pace and then the final two sets were to be run at a faster pace--something just slightly above your regular marathon pace. According to my Garmin watch, I was able to run the first 1200 yards at an 8:05/mile pace and then I ran the second two sets at 7:30/mile and 7:31/mile pace. That's pretty good for me considering my usual marathon pace is 9:30/mile.

It was a great workout and I was happy to focus on my favorite of the three events. It was also super nice to be back on campus of my beloved UCLA. I hardly ever visit campus and every time I set foot on it, it brings back such good warm and fuzzy memories. I can't believe it has already been TEN YEARS since I graduated. WOW...time sure flies. GO BRUINS!


No comments: