Wednesday, December 17, 2008

MORE REASONS

















In the past two years I have dedicated my Team In Training events to very special people. I've dedicated my races to friends, relatives and honored teammates. For my Ironman, I want to dedicate my race to Josephine Santiago and Kyle Garlett.

Josephine Santiago is the mother of one of my close friends, Javier Rivera. Javier and I met during our first season with Team In Training on the marathon team. His mother was diagnosed with Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma in 2006. For the past 2 years she has been fighting this terrible disease and continues to fight day in and day out. Since the time I met Javier, I have been amazed and inspired by his dedication to the cause. He manages a very busy life but always makes time to give back. His positive attitude during this surely difficult time is a huge inspiration to me. Javier...this one is for you brotha. You and Josephine will be on my mind on race day.

Kyle Garlett is the other person I dedicate this race to. Kyle is our honored teammate and his life story is simply amazing. He has battled blood cancers for 20 years and he is also a heart transplant patient. He is living healthy and strong these days and attempting to be the first heart transplant recipient to complete an Ironman in Kona, Hawaii next year. His story is one that makes me shake my head every time I hear it. Kyle's story can best be explained by Kyle himself. Attached here is his website http://www.ironmankyle.com/mystory.htm

Kyle's story leaves you with no excuses on what is possible in life if you set your mind to it.

No comments: